Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Could’ve Been A Hairy Situation

, , , , | Working | July 22, 2021

I’ve decided to try out a different hairdresser. I find a place nearby and make an appointment. Upon entering, I see that their website spoke quite the truth. It’s a small shop with the male-customer-oriented half just screaming, “MALE!” in a tongue-in-cheek way. Cosmetic articles like sprays, wax, and other stuff are in flasks that are obviously recycled alcohol bottles, for example. The hairdresser and owner himself is a big, tall bloke with a huge beard, some decorative chains around his wrists, and strong, tattooed arms. His manners are relaxed and informal… and very direct.

Hairdresser: “Your turn! Sit down, please.”

I sit down in the chair he points at. He puts a towel over my neck and covers me in a cutting cloak. Then, he stares at me silently. I am autistic, so I am not too good at reading (or especially reacting to) nonverbal signs, while also a bit clumsy at starting a conversation. So I just look back, puzzled. This takes about ten seconds.

Hairdresser: “You’re supposed to tell me how you want it.”

Me: “Oh! Just a cut, same model as I have now.”

Luckily, his voice and a hint of smile made clear to me that he wasn’t being nasty, just direct and informal. It worked for me and he turned out to be a very good hairdresser.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!