Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Console Is A Bit Buggy

, , , | Right | November 27, 2020

I do video game console refurbishment. Because I don’t want to deal with people too much directly, I tend to only work with consoles I’ve bought. However, I’ve made exceptions for friends and family on occasion. A friend’s friend hears about this and asks if I’m able to fix one of their systems.

Client: “Yeah, I got a PlayStation that won’t turn on. I bought it from a dude on Craigslist for like fifty bucks.”

Me: “Cool, which PlayStation?”

Client: “A PS4.”

This raises a red flag. Normally, a PS4 would go for at least $150; the only time it would be sold that low is if you knew the other party.

Me: “Sure, go ahead and bring it over.”

He drops it off and it looks legit. At first. I plug it in to test, and sure enough, it won’t power on. I go to pop it open and see a MASSIVE pile of cockroach bodies. From what I can tell, it was the sheer amount of dead bugs causing issues. I go and message the guy.

Me: “Good news is I think I found the issue. Bad news is that because of what it is, I’m charging extra.”

I also attach a picture of the situation. I expect the guy to get upset, saying it’s just a few bugs.

Client: “Oh, s***, that’s disgusting. How much is it overall?”

Me: “$75, but if there’s another issue, it might be more.”

Client: “Go ahead and do it.”

I clear out the bugs and then do a check of the hardware. Aside from a couple of wires being replaced, it looks fine. When I test it again, it turns on and acts normal. I give the guy the news and tell him it’ll just be the $75.

Client: “Awesome! I can come by tomorrow to pick it back up!”

When he comes by, he pays and hands me a gift card to a major coffee chain.

Client: “Hey, thanks for being willing to deal with that at all. I probably would have just bagged the system and brought it back as a biohazard or something. So… thanks.”

We ended up becoming really good friends. He even got me a load of various parts for systems at a flea market he stopped by. He also got me a toy cockroach that sits on my work desk.


This story is part of our Best Of November 2020 roundup!

Read the next story in the Best Of November 2020 roundup!

Read the Best Of November 2020 roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!