Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Clerk Went From Crabby To Crappy

, , , , , | Working | December 21, 2021

In Kansas, you have to be eighteen to smoke and twenty-one to drink and gamble. I’m nineteen, but I look about sixteen, and this causes some confusion, but it’s never been a problem until this happened.

Me: *Going up to the counter* “Can I have some [Cigarettes], please? Here’s my ID.”

Clerk: “This isn’t you.”

Me: “What? Yes, it is. My hair’s shorter, and I’m wearing makeup in the picture, but it’s definitely me.”

Clerk: *Scoffs* “I know your kind. You come in, thinking you can scam us out of cigarettes and booze. Well, I’m not buying it. And I’m going to have to confiscate this.” 

Me: “You can’t keep that! Civilians are not allowed to keep IDs, even fake ones.”

Clerk: “You’re lucky I don’t just turn this over to the police. I’m going to destroy this thing right now.”

To my horror, she sticks my ID in the shredder behind her. I’m furious and upset, and I shout for the owner, who happens to be a friend of my mom. 

Owner: “Hey, [My Name]. What happened? You’re crying!”

Me: “She destroyed my ID!”

Owner: *To the clerk* “What?! You don’t have a right to do that! Go get your stuff; you’re fired. I’m so sorry, [My Name]. I’ll get your cigarettes for you.” 

The clerk tried to apologize and say she was doing him a favor, but he was having none of it and told her he’d file a police report on her later. Then, the clerk gave me a look to kill and stormed out with her purse. The owner of the gas station helped me get a new ID and did file a police report with the local police.

Unfortunately, the clerk did not take too well to being fired. She keyed my car, went to the bathroom on my mom’s front lawn, and tried to lure our dog out in traffic. I filed a restraining order, and my mom’s friend provided the tape to the court. The judge was not impressed by the clerk’s behavior, told her to stay away from me, and sentenced her to community service and a month in jail for defecating on my lawn.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!