Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Behavior Is Irredeemable

, , , , , | Right | September 30, 2018

(I work as a cashier at a popular grocery store in our area. A female customer in her twenties comes through my line, and I check out her order as usual. In the end, she hands me a few coupons, and all scan accordingly except for one.)

Me: “Oh, this appears to be an [Other Store] coupon.”

Customer: “What? You guys don’t take manufacturer coupons?”

Me: “Not if they’re specified for a different store. I’m sorry.”

(I start to hand the coupon back to her, after showing her where the coupon states, “Redeemable at [Other Store],” but she shakes her head.)

Customer: “It doesn’t say that it’s redeemable only at [Other Store], so shouldn’t you be able to take it? Because if not, I don’t want [item].”

(Rather than argue with her, I offer to check with my supervisor on the matter, and she agrees. My supervisor, of course, confirms what I have been saying and assures me that it is definitely an [Other Store] coupon and we cannot accept it here.)

Me: “She said it is definitely an [Other Store] coupon. The barcode is different and, as we discovered already, it is not recognized by our system. I’m very sorry. Would you like me to void [item] for you?”

Customer: *sighs heavily, shaking her head* “No, forget it. This is a pain in the a**!”

(She then paid for her order in a grumpy manner and left. By the way, the coupon was for 50 cents.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!