Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

This Argument Is In A Vicious (Bi)Cycle

, , , , | Right | March 15, 2022

I am waiting in line to hire a four-seater bike to use while we are in the holiday park. I wait for some time before the person in front of me gives up, and I can move ahead and inside and see what the wait is.

I can see a middle-aged woman arguing with the holiday rep. I catch this much:

Customer: “I don’t understand. I’m not going to steal it, am I?”

Holiday Rep: “I am sorry, but it’s a standard fee.”

Customer: “But why?”

Holiday Rep: “It’s a standard charge if the bike is damaged or late; you get the money refunded if not.”

Customer: “But I can’t afford it.”

Holiday Rep: “I’m sorry, but the system will not let me process the hire without it.”

She huffs and stomps off, only to linger around the tills.

Me: “I’d like to hire a four-seater, please.”

Holiday Rep: “That will be a £10 deposit and [some small amount] for the day.”

Me: “No problem.”

Customer: “They are ripping you off; you won’t get your money back!”

Me: “I hire one every year and I’ve never had an issue before. In fact, you are the only person I have ever heard having an issue.”

Customer: “Well, it’s just… I’m not… It’s not fair.”

I hired the bike and they brought it round. We left before the woman moved from her spot. Not sure why people want to spend their holiday arguing about something that can’t be changed, with people that cannot affect it even if it could.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!