Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Thinks LGBT Stands For Little Girls Barely Teens

| Romantic | October 1, 2016

(I’ve just traveled with a group from my college to an LGBT+ pride festival to represent our school’s LGBT+ resource center. We are taking turns running the booth and talking to people approaching the table. At this point, the guy running the table with me is busy helping someone else while another man who looks to be at least twice my age approaches. I am a 20 year old female.)

Me: “Hello!”

Man: *mumbles*

Me: “I’m sorry, what was that?”

(This continues for a while, the man mumbling and me trying to ask him to speak up.)

Man: “I SAID YOU’RE VERY PRETTY!”

Me: “Oh, well, thank you! We’re here representing [School] and this is what we do.”

(I give my spiel about what we offer, and the entire time he watches me unblinkingly. I start getting uncomfortable.)

Me: *after an awkward pause* “Well, if you’re interested in hearing about future events, you can sign up on our emailing list.”

(I try to direct his attention to the clipboard, but he continues staring at me.)

Man: “You’re very cute.”

Me: “Um, thanks.”

Man: “You’re really sexy. Do you know that?”

(At this point, I’m completely uncomfortable and I awkwardly try to ignore him, hoping he gets the hint and moves on.)

Man: “Where can I get a drink around here? I want to buy you a beer.”

Me: “Um, you can’t. I’m underage.”

Man: “Seriously, I’ll buy you one.”

Me: “No, thanks.”

Man: “You want anything then? Do you want candy?”

Me: “No. I don’t want anything. If you don’t mind, other people would like to see our booth.”

(He finally leaves. I kept my eye out for him the rest of the time I’m there, until we finally get a break from people approaching our booth. I tell my friend what happened.)

Friend: *with a baffled expression* “Um, does he even know where he is right now?”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!