Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

They’re Wrist-Banned

, , , , , | Right | July 14, 2022

I have a summer job operating rides at a small amusement park. Customers at the park can either buy individual tickets, with most rides costing two or three tickets per ride, or wristbands that allow free rides for three hours. Important to note is that the wristbands do not act as a “fast pass” allowing customers to jump the line at any rides; they still have to wait their turn just like everyone else. The cashiers inform customers of this any time they buy a wristband.

Each ride in the park has separate, clearly-marked entrance and exit gates, within sight of each other. One day, during the hottest week of the summer, I’m assigned to the Bumper Boats — a popular ride that day because riders can pass under hoses spraying cold water into the pool. There’s a decently long line at the entrance gate, when a group of boys, probably around twelve or thirteen, gathers at the exit gate.

The current ride finishes, and when I move to the exit gate to let the riders out, the boys prepare to run through the gate.

Me: *Before I open the gate* “Boys, this is the exit. The entrance is over there.”

Boy #1: *Holding up his wrist* “We have wristbands.”

Me: “That’s cool, but the wristbands just mean you don’t have to pay at the entrance. You still have to wait in line.”

The boys seem a bit disappointed because of the long line, but they also clearly understand my explanation of the rules and start heading to the back of the line while I let the current riders out of the exit. Suddenly, a woman comes running down the sidewalk.

Woman: *Nearly screaming* “Hey! Why did you kick my son and his friends out of line?”

Me: “I didn’t kick them out, ma’am. This is the exit gate; the entrance is over there.”

Woman: “There’s a line over there!”

Me: “Yes, there is.”

Woman: “I bought them wristbands for my son’s birthday party! You have to let them ride!”

Me: “Ma’am, the wristbands only allow free rides. They do not allow anyone to jump the line.”

Woman: “Then what’s the point of the wristbands?! You will let those boys ride right now, without having to wait in line!”

Me: “I can’t do that.”

Woman: “Where is your manager? We’ll see what he has to say about this!”

Me: “The owner of the park is working in the concession stand today. You are welcome to talk to him.”

Woman: “I will do that! Boys, come! Let’s go talk to the owner and make sure we get this sorted!”

She stormed off toward the concession stand, with the boys following behind looking like sad puppy dogs. The entire parking lot is visible from the Bumper Boat Pond, so ten minutes later, I watched the group get into an SUV and drive off. At the end of the day, I asked the owner what happened, and he said that he told the woman the same thing I did. The woman refused to accept the rules, so the owner kicked her out.

I felt bad for the boys, because the whole time the woman was screaming and arguing with me, they looked super sad and embarrassed. It was just another sad example of kids being more understanding of rules than adults.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!