Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

They’re In Three Fall

| Right | May 3, 2017

(I work in a BBQ restaurant that has a limited menu. One thing we offer is a plate, which can come with 1/3 pound of one, two, or three different meats. Most customers realize that the total amount of meat doesn’t change, but every once in a while someone gets confused and think that a three-meat has more meat than a one meat. This occurs one night while I am running register. The manager I am working with at the time is 18, but appears younger.)

Customer: “Hello, I would like the three-meat plate, with all brisket.”

Manager: “I’m sorry, the three-meat plate doesn’t actually include more meat than the one-meat plate, so it would actually end up being the same.”

Customer: “You must be new, because the three-meat plate has three times as much meat as the one-meat plate. I would know; this is the third time I’ve eaten here and that’s what I’ve always gotten.”

Manager: “Ma’am, I’ve been working here for three years and eating here ever since I can remember. The three-meat plate has never had more meat than the one-meat plate. If you want—”

Customer: *interrupting* “No, you f****** idiot, the three-meat plate has three times the meat. Now give me what I ordered, you stupid child.”

Manager: “Ma’am, please don’t talk to me like that. As I was saying, if you would like you could purchase a pound of the brisket and some sides, which would equal the same amount of meat that would be on three plates.”

Customer: “NO! I ordered the three-meat and that’s what I want. Do it or I’ll talk to your manager and get you fired!”

Manager: “Ma’am, I am the manager, and what you are wanting is not possible. I could give you a pound of brisket and some sides, or I can give you a plate and an extra 2/3 a pound of brisket, but I will have to charge you for it.”

Customer: “You ignorant little a**! I’ll have you know, I know the owner and I’ll have you fired for this!”

(I decide that I need to step in since she causing a scene and making our other customers uncomfortable. Since she obviously is unfamiliar with our policy, I make the assumption that she doesn’t really know the owner and tell a small half-lie.)

Me: “Ma’am, if you know the owner, then you would know that she would never let you treat her employees like this.”

Customer: “Shut up, you little b****, or I’ll have you fired, too!”

Me: “I really don’t think my mom would fire me, honestly. Now, you can take one of the options he has offered, or you can leave. Or I can call the police. It’s your choice, ma’am.”

Customer: “The menu says three-meat, and that’s what I’ll get. I’ll ruin your reputation!”

Me: “Ma’am, if the three-meat plate had three times the meat, it would be three times the price.”

(She stammered for a minute before storming out, slamming the door on the way out and shattering the glass. We called the police and sued for damages.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!