Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

They’re Blind To Real-World Pricing

, , , , | Right | September 9, 2020

We advertise lower prices for glasses, including a deal where the exam and two basic pairs of single-vision glasses are less than $100. We do, of course, also carry designer frames and lens add-ons that are more expensive.

A man comes in for his exam and picks out two Ray-Ban frames priced at $160 each. I show him our lens options and he wants them both progressive lenses with anti-glare, and one a polarized sunglass. I go over material options and what I recommend for his prescription, as well as progressive styles.

Me: “So, if we did both pairs in [high-end progressive style], in that thinner, more durable material, with the anti-reflective coating, it would be $750 for everything.”

Customer: “That’s too much.”

Me: “Okay, no problem. If we kept the anti-glare coating and polarization but did them in plastic and moved you down one progressive tier, that will bring the cost down a bit. That would be $620 for both pairs.”

Customer: “That’s still too much. I thought I would get a good deal here since you have that [offer for less than $100].”

Me: “Yes, that offer is for two pairs of single-vision plastic glasses without any coatings with frames in the introductory price point. You want designer frames and lens options that are going to be additional. You can certainly pick less expensive frames and we can go over the lens options again.”

Customer: “I was looking to spend around $300. I think I’ll shop around.”

Me: “…”

So, he picked two $160 frames, and then apparently was allotting -$10 for his lenses?! He was currently in a lens similar to what I quoted him originally, so he was not new to the world of glasses and knew that progressives cost more. I have no idea what kind of logic he was using.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!