Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

They’re All Fired Up But No One Is Getting Fired

, , , | Right | July 6, 2020

I’m running the register one day. I’ve been recently promoted to front-end manager, and my grandma promised to come by to take me to lunch to celebrate. I’m helping one of my other cashiers with a return when I see her come in.

Me: “So, you’ll have to hit this button and select cash for the return.”

Cashier: “Oh, okay!”

Customer: “I don’t want you—” *pointing to me* “—touching my money!”

Me: “I’m sorry?”

Customer: “No d*** [gay slur] should even be working here!”

I realize I’ve left my pride pin on my uniform.

Me: “Ma’am, my orientation has nothing to do with my job or my ability to do it. You need to also be careful with your language as there are kids here.”

Customer: “YOU’RE A F****** [SLUR]! WHY DID [STORE] HIRE YOU?!”

My manager comes over. While she’s straight, she’s also super supportive of me and my other LGBT+ coworkers.

Customer: “You! Manager! Fire this [slur]!”

Manager: “No.”

Customer: “But she’s—”

Manager: “She is one of my best employees. She has done nothing wrong that I have seen to deserve even getting written up.”

Customer: “But—”

Manager: “You, however, have screamed at her, used vulgar language, and refused to listen. You will get your refund, leave, and not come back to this store.”

Customer: “I’ll call corporate!”

Manager: “Do it. Our cameras have recorded the entire thing.”

The customer glares at me. The cashier quietly hands her the refund, and the woman storms out the door. On her way out, she sees my grandma, who’s watched the whole thing. She turns to her.

Customer: “THERE’S A [SLUR] IN THERE!”

My grandma gives her a look.

Grandma: “Yeah. My granddaughter and her girlfriend both come to my house just about every weekend.”

My manager let me take an extended lunch break.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!