Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

They Need To Recruit Better Recruiters

, , , , , | Working | January 31, 2020

(During my last job hunt, I also start looking for jobs out of state, as my family and I have decided we are tired of the extreme weather and local politics. I eventually get a job offer out of state, and as we are preparing to move, I get a call from a local recruiter, whom I haven’t worked with before.)

Recruiter: “What would be a good time for you to interview with [Employer]?”

Me: “Oh, I’m sorry, but I’ve actually already accepted a job out of state. Thank you, though!”

Recruiter: “Oh… are you leaving immediately?”

Me: “Well, not for another week.”

Recruiter: “So, you still have time that you could interview with [Employer].”

Me: “I guess, but I’m not sure why I would?”

Recruiter: “Maybe they’ll make you a better offer!”

Me: “Are they offering six figures in their price range?”

Recruiter: “Um. No, but—”

Me: “Then, I’m sorry, but I’m really not interested. I’m very happy with the job I’ve already accepted, and we’ve already signed the lease for a new apartment.”

Recruiter: “Don’t you want to keep your options open if that job falls through?”

Me: “I’d rather be jobless there than here, so no.”

Recruiter: “Listen, you’d be doing me a favor if you did this interview. We want to maintain a good relationship with this client.”

Me: *realizing what’s going on, long pause* “You’re not going to guilt me into doing this interview.”

Recruiter: “That’s not what I’m doing.”

Me: *getting irate* “That’s exactly what you’re doing; don’t try to bulls*** me.”

Recruiter: “I don’t think there’s any need for that kind of language.”

Me: “And I don’t think I care about burning this particular bridge.” *hangs up*

Husband: *staring at me, wide-eyed* “What the h*** was that?”

(I guess knowing we were getting out of that place made me less patient with guilt-trips. I hate doing interviews, even for jobs I DO want. We’re quite happy in our new home and have no intention of ever going back.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!