Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

They Just Cashed And Burned

, , , , , , , | Right | March 11, 2023

I work at a gym and am training a new employee on the registers. We have a small fridge with an assortment of beverages like water, energy drinks, sports drinks, and protein shakes. This takes place during 2020, so the gym has implemented a new policy of not accepting cash. We do have multiple signs at our registers stating so.

A man comes up to purchase a drink and tries handing my coworker a $20 bill.

Coworker: “Oh, I am so sorry, but we are unfortunately not accepting cash at this moment.”

Customer: *Raised voice* “Why the f*** not?!”

Coworker: “To try and reduce the spread of—”

Customer: *Interrupting and still raising his voice* “That’s the stupidest f****** thing I’ve heard. This is legal tender! You have to accept it!”

Me: *Cutting in* “I do apologize, sir. As much as I do agree with you, it is a new policy. We’re only accepting cashless payments at this time. My coworker and I did not make the policy, so please do not raise your voice at us.”

Customer: “No, you’re going to accept this. It’s. Legal. Tender.”

Me: “I understand, but we have no means of giving you change if you pay with your $20.”

Customer: “Then go get your f****** wallet and make me change!”

Me: “I can call my manager to the front if you would like to speak with them instead.”

He glares at us for a second and then storms off.

Coworker: “Do you think he’s coming back?”

Me: “No idea.”

He comes back in a few minutes with a credit card, waving it around and talking condescendingly.

Customer: “Are you going to tell me you don’t accept cards, either?”

Me: “We accept cards. Let me ring you out again. Okay, your total is [total]. You can insert your chip whenever you are ready.”

He throws his card at me.

Customer: “You can do it.”

Me: *Not budging* “The card reader is in front of you, sir.”

Customer: *Grumbling while picking up his card* “You should have a f****** sign or something.”

I push said sign next to the card reader closer.

Me: “Yes, sir.”

He looks at it and barely glances back at me, mumbling incoherently.

Me: “You have a nice night, sir.”

Customer: “Go f*** yourself.”

We relayed the incident to my manager, and the next time the man came in, my manager told him that if he continued to be abusive toward staff, he would have his membership revoked. I had no problems with him the rest of the time I worked there.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!