Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

They Have Good Reception, But Bad Listening Skills

, , , , | Right | December 10, 2021

I’m a cashier at a dealership. I am also the receptionist, but cashiering is my main job. Every Friday morning, the sales team has a meeting for about an hour. Most people understand when I tell them this and have no problem with calling back later. Not this lady. For the entirety of this call, she is mumbling and there is a bit of static, which only makes the mumbling worse.

Me: “Thank you for calling [Dealership]; how can I direct your call?”

Customer: *Mumbles*

Me: “I’m sorry, I couldn’t understand you. Who were you trying to reach?”

Customer: *Mumbles* “…man.”

Me: “Are you trying to reach a salesman?”

Customer: “Yes.”

Me: “They are all in a meeting right now. They will be done at about ten-thirty. If you call back then, one of them will be able to assist you.”

Customer: “Oh. I was just texting…” *mumbles for a while* “…sent me a picture. Connect me to him.”

Me: “I’m sorry, I didn’t catch that. You’re breaking up a bit. But all of the salesmen are in a meeting right now.”

I’m guessing she moves to a spot with less static because she comes in slightly clearer.

Customer: “I’m trying to reach a salesman. Your website has a [used car] and I want information on it.”

Me: “Okay. As I said, all of sales is in a meeting right now. They will be done at about ten-thirty. If you call back after that time, they will be able to assist you.”

Customer: “Why can’t you tell me? It’s not that hard. Just get on your computer and look it up.”

Me: “I can’t. I don’t have that access.”

Customer: “You don’t have that access, or are you just too lazy to do your job?”

Me: “No, I don’t have that access.”

Customer: “So, what is your job?”

Me: “I’m the cashier and receptionist.”

Customer: “And what do you do as a receptionist?”

Me: “I answer the phones and connect you to whoever you need to speak to.”

Customer: “So, why can’t you get on your computer and look up the information on a car? It’s not that hard. Do your job and get me that information on the car.”

Me: “I don’t have access to the inventory list. I am not in sales. Sales will be out of their meeting at ten-thirty.”

Customer: *Starts mumbling again* “Who else is there?”

Me: “Right now? Only parts and service. Everyone else is in a meeting. I can connect you with the voicemail of a sales manager and he can call you back once he’s out of the meeting.”

Customer: “I just don’t understand what is so d*** hard about you getting on your computer and looking up car information.”

Me: “Because I do not have that access. You will have to call back after ten-thirty so a salesman can help you.”

The customer hung up. She did not call back.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!