Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

They Have Been Complaining Of Late

, , , , | Right | January 6, 2020

(I work at a store that is known for its customer service. I am working at the customer service counter and it is ten minutes before my very long shift is about to end. An elderly lady storms up to the counter carrying a statement for our store credit card.)

Me: “How can I help you? Do you have a payment?”

Customer: “I have a complaint. I paid this bill the day it was due and I was charged a late fee.”

Me: “Okay, I will tell you there isn’t anything that we can do in the store. We don’t have the power to change anything about your charge card. There should be a phone number on your statement that you can call. I understand that they are really good about taking care of these things.”

Customer: “I have never had this happen before, I have never paid a bill late, and if this does not get taken care of, I will never come back here again.”

Me: “I’m sorry for the inconvenience; I know this is very frustrating. Please call that number and let them know what happened. We have a phone down here that you can use if you would like.”

Customer: “I don’t want to call right now. I want to know why it happened and get the charge removed.”

Me: “May I see your statement? The phone number is right here and I see that you have a receipt from paying in the store. I don’t understand why it was late because it should have posted immediately.” *looks closer at the receipt and the statement* “Ma’am, I see here that your bill was due on the 22nd—”

Customer: “YES! I PAID IT THAT DAY AND THEY CHARGED ME A LATE FEE!”

Me: “Well, according to your receipt, you made the payment on the 25th.”

(The customer snatches paper out of my hands and glares at it.)

Me: “I would still call that number and see if anything can be done, especially since this is the first time this has happened.”

Customer: “I CAN’T BELIEVE THIS! I WILL BE TAKING MY BUSINESS ELSEWHERE IF THIS DOESN’T GET RESOLVED, AND I SPEND A LOT OF MONEY HERE!”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, I understand that it is frustrating. Please call that number as soon as possible and ask them if there is anything they can do. Is there anything else I can do for you today?”

Customer: “I need to make this return.”

(I process the return quickly and credit her account. I have remained pleasant throughout the interaction, despite her attitude.)

Me: “Here is your receipt of the return. Again, I am sorry for the inconvenience with your payment. Have a nice day.”

Customer: *glares at me and leaves without saying anything*

Coworker: “You ready to go home?”

Me: “Yes, please.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!