Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

They Expect You To Work Like A Dog

, , , , | Right | April 11, 2023

I watch dogs for people through an app. A woman asked me to check on her two dogs and one cat on a major holiday I know I had blocked off in my calendar. I looked up her location and it was within a few minutes of where I would be that day. Before I could decide, she messaged me.

Client: “Hi, I know you’re marked unavailable, but our last sitter turned out to be irresponsible so we would like to try someone new.”

Me: “I’m looking into what the plan is for that day. I’ll get back to you when I know.”

The next hour was a flood of messages about how desperate this woman was and how much she needed someone to let her two little dogs out twice that day. Finally, I decided to meet with her to see what we could work out. Holiday pay is nearly double normal on this app.

Client: “If you could come at [exact times], that would be great. I know the app is flexible, but their little doggy bladders are not.”

Me: “I’ll do what I can. I don’t—”

Client: “Good, just whatever you can do is great. I’m so glad you’re free!”

The day of the visit comes, and I arrive ten minutes before I’m scheduled. I open the door to find not only the woman’s two dogs and one cat, but six other dogs in the house. I call several times, but she doesn’t answer. Finally, I message her via the app.

Me: “Hi, there are way more dogs here than you booked. I’m going to have to take this up with [App] to charge more.”

Client: “Those aren’t my dogs! You can’t charge me!”

Me: “Am I taking care of them?”

Client: “Yes, obviously! My friends didn’t have a sitter, so I told them to bring their dogs over and you would help us all.”

Me: “No. I’m not getting paid for all of this; I’m not doing it.”

I took a photo of the group, let all the dogs out to relieve themselves — it wasn’t their fault, after all — and left.

I contacted customer support to seek extra payment for the extra dogs. They told me they went after her for the money, but she deleted her account as soon as the complaint was made. I wonder why her last sitter didn’t want to work for her anymore.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!