Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

They Dropped The Ball, And The TV

, , , | Right | December 9, 2021

I work in the office of a major insurance company, in the home department. I take a call that starts out fairly normal.

Caller: “Can you tell me if my TV is covered if I drop it?”

Usually, this means that the customer has dropped their TV but isn’t sure it’s covered. I pull up their policy.

Me: “Yes, I can confirm that you have accidental damage on your policy.”

The next sound on the line is an almighty crash: the sound of a television being dropped. There is another voice in the room talking to the caller.

Other Voice: “Does it look broken enough?”

Caller: “No, drop it again.”

Second almighty crash. I can hardly believe what I have heard.

Caller: “Oh, s***! The phone!”

The customer swiftly hangs up. Just a couple of minutes later, they phone again.

Caller: “Hello, [Insurance Company]? I just dropped my TV.”

Me: *In my politest tone* “Yes, madam, I heard; I was the agent who took your last call.”

Caller: “I want to claim on my policy.”

Me: “No, madam, you do not want to claim on your policy, not after what I just heard. All our calls are recorded.”

Caller: “No, I WANT TO CLAIM!”

Me: “Madam, before you decide to do that, I am going to send you, free of charge, a recording of your last call. You may then decide whether or not to go ahead with your claim.”

The recording was burned onto a CD and sent out to the customer. Oddly enough, she decided not to proceed with her claim.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!