Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Thermodynamics Cuts No Ice With Her

, , , | Right | March 5, 2019

(I have just started working at my new job this week. I was trained to use the registers in my earlier shift, so this is my first time going solo. A woman runs up to my register with the angriest look I have ever seen. I have had issues with social anxiety in the past, and her demeanour has already set my heart racing.)

Woman:You! I want to complain about you!

Me: “I’m sorry to hear that. Whatever have I done?”

Woman: “YOU SOLD ME ICE AND WHEN I GOT HOME IT HAD MELTED!”

(I know I haven’t served this woman, because I have only served two people, both of them men.)

Me: “Sorry, I don’t think I sold you any ice. I only just started on the registers about half an hour ago.”

Woman: “I DON’T F****** CARE! YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD ME THE ICE WOULD MELT!”

(I’ve started going into panic mode and respond as though I actually did serve her.)

Me: “I-I’m sorry. I guess I didn’t realise you didn’t—“

Woman: “DIDN’T WHAT?! HUH?! DIDN’T THINK I WOULD COME BACK?!”

Me: “N-no. I Just thought everyone knew ice melted…”

(She’s about to spew more bile when realisation hits her — more like slaps her, as her head literally jerks. She blushes and runs out of the store. A manager who saw everything — and for whatever reason didn’t care to get involved — sends me into the back to calm down. Another manager, who also saw everything, follows me.)

Manager: “I see you’ve met the Ice Queen.”

Me: “She has a nickname?”

Manager: “Yup. She comes in every week complaining about her ice melting. We usually end up refunding her because she acts totally ignorant. I think you’re the first person to ever drive her out of the store.”

(He joked about assigning me to be the only one to deal with her, which practically set another panic attack off. The woman never returned, though, in the six months I was there, much to the amazement of the staff. I eventually left because the environment was very negative. I also found out during my weekly shopping at my local store that the Ice Queen had moved on to there. I don’t shop there anymore because her voice still makes me anxious.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!