Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

There’s Being Careful And Then There’s… This

, , , , | Related | June 24, 2022

I have a doctor’s appointment in a few hours because I’m displaying some extremely worrying symptoms of heart problems. It’s not time to leave yet, so I’m online chatting with my friends to let them know what’s up. One of my friends is a moderator for a popular MMO that we all play, and as part of her position, she has pretty much unrestricted access to our billing information.

Me: “…so, yeah, after some of those symptoms the other day, I asked the doctor. He only had an opening today but said to go to the ER if they got worse, and he listed some things out. I’m not to the ‘worse’ part yet.”

Friend #1: “Holy s***. Are you okay?”

Me: “I’ll be fine. Little nerve wracking, but I’m fine.”

Friend #2: “And you’re actually going to the doctor, right? You’re not just saying it to make us shut up?”

This is a very fair accusation. I really don’t like going to the doctor and have been known to say, “Yeah, I’ll go,” to change the conversation.

Me: “Yes, it’s just not time to leave yet. I promise I’m going. Mom’s gonna drive me.”

Friend #2: “Good. Just know that I have your billing information sitting in front of me right now, and if I find out you’re lying, I’m calling an ambulance to your house.”

Me: *Laughing* “S***, I forgot you can do that!”

Once it’s time to leave, I’m talking to my mom as she’s driving.

Me: “Yeah, good thing the appointment is here. One of my friends was threatening to call an ambulance if I refused to go; that’s how worried they are.”

Mom: “Why would you tell people you’ve never met your address?! That’s how you get stalked!”

Me: “Oh, no, none of them know it except for that one. She works for [Company] and as part of her job can pull up our billing information.”

Mom: “YOU LET HER SEE YOUR BANK ACCOUNT INFORMATION?”

Me: “What? That isn’t what I said. My billing information! She can see a person’s full name, address, email, and, maybe if she pulls, like, three more screens up, the last four of my debit card. I’ve not ‘given’ her anything! Any place you have a subscription with like that has a person who can do that! That’s how they verify you to the account!”

Mom: “Call the bank! Call them as soon as we leave the doctor and make sure she hasn’t stolen from you! I can’t believe you’re so careless!

Me: “You have subscriptions to [Service 1] and [Service #2]! Do you call every day to see if you’ve been robbed?!”

Mom: “YES! AND YOU NEED TO!”

We fought the entire way to the doctor and didn’t speak for the rest of the evening. As a side note, it turns out my blood pressure was extremely high, likely a result of severe overwork and unmanaged stress, and I was put on new medication for it. Gee, can’t imagine where the stress came from.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!