Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

There’s A Wee Bit Of Difference

, , , , , | Working | June 2, 2018

(Several coworkers are discussing the upcoming local Celtic festival and Highland games. [Coworker #1] has been attending this event for years, as her clan sets up a booth. [Coworker #2] is our newest hire and is Hispanic. About five minutes before this is said, [Coworker #1] mentioned being from Scotland.)

Coworker #2: “Irish culture always seemed so rich and interesting; [Coworker #1] you are so lucky your family is from there.”

([Coworker #1] stops eating and just stares at [Coworker #2]; [Coworker #1] is clearly seeing red. [Coworker #3] and [Coworker #4] both put a hand on [Coworker #1]’s shoulders to hold her down.)

Coworker #3: “She’s Scottish, [Coworker #2].”

Coworker #2: “Isn’t that the same thing?”

Me: “Oh, s***, [Coworker #1], she doesn’t know what she just said!”

Coworker #4: “You really aren’t helping yourself, kid.”

Coworker #1: “H*** NO!” *struggling to stand up*

Me: “[Coworker #2], let me explain what you just did. Imagine if [Coworker #1] is Salvadorian and you just called her a Puerto Rican.”

Coworker #2: “OH, MY GOD! I’M SO SORRY. I didn’t know. Oh, God, no wonder you wanted to kill me. Oh, no. Please forgive me.”

(And that is how our lunch break turned into a quick history and culture lesson on the differences between the various peoples of the British Isles.)


This story is part of our Scotland themed roundup!

Read the next Scotland themed roundup story!

Read the Scotland themed roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!