Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

There’s A Reason She Didn’t Give Him Her Number

, , , , | Right | March 18, 2020

(I work in a phonebook order center. Every day, I get calls that mistake us for a customer help hotline for a phone company like AT&T or Verizon. We make it clear to them that we just provide phonebooks and that we can’t help them with their phone bill or anything related with phones and phone numbers. We always advise them to call 411 for that. We get yelled at and cursed at for denying them any service and we’re used to that.)

Me: “Hello, thank you for calling [Company]. Are you calling in to order a phonebook?”

Caller: *completely ignores the question* “I need help with something more important.”

Me: “Yes, sir. How may I help you?”

Caller: “I need my girlfriend’s number.”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir. We’re an order center for phone directories. We don’t store any phone numbers here. And if we do, we can’t give them out. That’s against our policy.”

Caller: *gets angry* “Why not? I have the right to know! Can you at least search her name in your system? Her name is—”

Me: “I apologize, sir, but we can’t help you with that. Again, we’re an order center for phonebooks. Are you calling in to order one for your state?”

Caller: *gets angrier* “Are you stupid? I don’t care about phonebooks! I need you to provide me with her number!”

Me: “Sir, we don’t entertain profanity here. Again, I apologize but I can’t —”

Caller: “I will get you fired!”

Me: “Go ahead, sir. I’ll be glad if you’re able to do that. Please call 411 for your concern. Have a great day, bye!”

(This job made me dead inside.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!