Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

There Is No Silver Lining To This Deal

, , , , , , | Right | March 18, 2023

I am showing a friend of a friend the self-made silver jewelry I am wearing while we are chatting, proud of my work. I am not a jeweler by trade, but I put a lot of time and effort in and try and make every piece unique. I get compliments quite often. My friend is very positive about them. It’s a great start and a confidence boost!

Friend: “I want you to make me a ring.”

My spare time is limited, but I figure, “Well, let’s hear her out; it’s been a pleasant conversation so far.”

Me: “While yes, I make silver jewelry for fun for myself and presents occasionally when the mood and time are right, I don’t have the time and the resources generally to make rings or such on demand.”

Friend: “Oh, I totally understand, and of course, I’m willing to pay for it. I won’t need it for a long time, so you can do it at your leisure.”

I’ve done freelance work before; I’m interested. She then suggests the most intricate gem-set piece I would have ever made.

Friend: “I’m willing to pay €35 for it.”

Me: “Well, the ring you want is difficult and at least a few full evenings of work. Also, the base material cost of the precious metals and gems alone will be triple the €35. And that’s not counting other materials and costs, let alone time.”

This sets her off. Tirade incoming!

Friend: “What?! You should be happy that you’ll have a project to work on. Why should I pay for your time? You’re not doing it as a job, after all. Plus, it would mean practice for you. And on top of that, it means money for you to put back into your hobby to keep it going. Surely, you can get plenty of silver and gems at a big discount somewhere? And you must have some laying around, anyway — might as well put it to good use. You shouldn’t ask more than €35 until you go professional, as that’s enough for a ring made by a hobbyist who’s still learning.”

I try to interrupt, but she’s on a roll.

Friend: “Look, I promise to show my friends the ring at the party in two weeks and tell them all about our arrangement. I am absolutely sure you’ll get many more requests like mine from them if the ring turns out pretty enough. This will make sure you can practice even more!”

She was convinced she was doing me a favor and that I was silly if I could not see the boon in building a steady clientele that way. I could end up not making just one, but up to seven like this!

I never made the ring. I’m not sure I want to use all my spare time and spend a truckload of my own money for the “privilege” of making jewelry for strangers.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!