Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Their Brains Have Been Liquidated

, , , | Right | December 29, 2018

(I work in a nonprofit store that specializes in Christian/Catholic products. Much of our customer base are actually non-religious people, or “on the fence” believers, looking for gifts. Due to a bankruptcy years earlier and everyone buying online, the company can no longer stay afloat and we’ve started liquidation. Here’s just some of what I’ve dealt with so far:)

Customer #1: *brings in a $40 book* “So I bought this for a gift and I know she’ll give it away and I’m not wasting my money on it. Can I return it?”

Me: “Well, ma’am. The company is closing down so we can no longer take returns; however, I can do an even exchange so if you want to find something for yourself—“

Customer #1: “No! Why can’t you just return it?”

Me: “As I’ve mentioned, the company is closing…”

Customer: “That’s not MY problem!”

(She ended up buying $38 worth of stuff twenty minutes after the ordeal.)

Customer #2: *brings up two hand baskets of merchandise and has me price check half of the items and ring up the total for everything* “I’m just so sad you’re closing. I just don’t understand how this is happening.” *I tell her the total and she pauses, taking two of the cheapest things from a basket and pushes the baskets away from me* “Actually, I’ll just take these two.”

Customer #3: *walks in* “You guys are closing?! Why?”

Me: “We can’t keep up and compete with the online market.”

Customer #3: *pulls out cellphone* “Well, are you guys still honoring the five dollar coupons?”

Me: “You means the rewards? I’m sorry, but those have expired as well. The liquidation company immediately made coupons invalidated the moment the stores’ closing was publicly made known. They held keeping rewards already earned but the deadline was March 1st.”

Customer #3: *getting more agitated* “But I spent [amount needed to earn one]!”

Me: “I understand that, ma’am, but the liquidation company only agreed to keep them valid for the first week.”

Customer #3: “Well, I was in here maybe a day or two before you decided—“ *yes, she said ‘decided,’ and gestures to all of the signs* “—to do all this.”

Me: “Well, we’ve had updates and even posts here in the store that the deadline was March 1st.”

Customer #3: “Why didn’t they tell me when I was here then?! They should’ve told me!”

Me: *inside my head* “Yes. We should’ve magically predicted the future just to warn you specifically.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!