Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Their Bark Is Worse Than Any Dog’s Bite

| Right | September 19, 2012

(I work at a pet store that also offers boarding/day care services for dogs. We have three day camps, two of which are visible to customers inside and outside of the store. I am on my way back from a break when I notice a father, mother, and child standing in front of a window, looking into one of the day camps.)

Me: “Hello! I see you have noticed one of our day camp rooms. Do you have any questions about our boarding and day camp services?”

Father: “Yes, we do. What is that dog?” *points*

Me: “That would be Oso. He’s a real sweetheart.”

Father: “And what breed is he?”

Me: “He’s a Great Pyrenees mix.”

Mother: “We’ll take him.”

Me: “…I’m sorry?”

Mother: “I SAID, we’ll take him.”

Me: “I’m sorry, but these dogs are not for sale.”

Father: “What?”

Me: “All of these dogs are staying with us while their owners are out of town. Some of them, like Oso, only come in for a few hours every day because the owners don’t want them to be left home alone all day.”

Mother: “That’s ridiculous. Why would you have these dogs on display if they weren’t for sale?”

Father: “We’d like to purchase that dog. How much is he?”

Me: “I’m sorry, but none of these dogs are for sale. We do offer adoption services on weekends, so you are more than welcome to come back on Saturday and look at the puppies.”

Child: *whining* “I want the dooooggiiiiiiie!”

Father: “Yes, but we want THAT dog. How much is he?”

Me: “Sir, I’m sorry, but none of these dogs are for sale. They all have owners.”

Mother: “Then how about that dog?” *points at a different one*

Me: “I don’t know what that dog’s name is.”

Mother: “No, no, how much is that dog? If the first one isn’t for sale, then what about this one?”

Me: “Ma’am, NONE of the dogs are for sale. They ALL have owners.”

Mother: “Then why are you displaying them in the store if they aren’t for sale?!”

Child: “I WANT THE DOGGIE!”

Me: “Excuse me, but I need to clock back in from break. Let me get the manager…”

(When the store manager came by, they asked how much Oso was again. When they were told he was not for sale, the child threw a major temper tantrum, both of the parents starting yelling at the store manager, and they only left after the store manager threatened to call security.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!