Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Their Attitudes Are Fluid

| Related | May 21, 2017

(I’m 19 years old and have just figured out that I’m genderfluid. I decide it’d be best to tell my dad first since he’s always been the more progressive one of my parents. I do this over lunch one day when it’s just the two of us. Note: My parents are divorced and both my mother and I have naturally low levels of estrogen.)

Me: “Hey, dad, I have something to tell you. I’m genderfluid.”

Dad: *not really paying attention* “What’s that now?”

Me: “I said I’m genderfluid. That means I’m not a girl; I’m actually sometimes a boy and sometimes I’m neither. I want to start transitioning physically, and need some help starting hormone replacement therapy.”

Dad: “You mean you want to take estrogen?”

Me: *a bit shocked at his ignorance* “No, dad, I want to take testosterone. I’m not a girl; I don’t need estrogen.”

Dad: “Oh, no, it’s probably just because you’re low on the stuff that you only think you should be a boy! Don’t worry, we’ll get you to a doctor and fix this.”

(I’m now terrified of how bad coming out to my conservative mother could be after THAT disaster, but I eventually tell her over breakfast a few months later.)

Me: “So, I’m not your daughter anymore, and I want to start hormone replacement soon. That means I’ll be taking shots of testosterone to get rid of the estrogen in my body. Is that okay?”

Mom: “Of course that’s okay! Why wouldn’t it be?”

Me: “Dad said I feel like a boy because I don’t have enough female hormones.”

Mom: “Your dad has always been the type to do that! Our levels are the same and I’ve never once thought I was anything but a woman! Now, how about we get your hair cut? It’s looking a little long for a young man.”

(I’m now 22 and started HRT almost a year ago, and strangely enough in the end my father did more research and became more tolerant, while my mother constantly asks me why I’m denying her grandchildren even though my brother already has a kid!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!