Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Twilight Of Our Literacy, Part 10

, , | Right | July 19, 2012

(I work at my parents’ bookshop part-time and have just gotten off shift. I am still in my uniform (khakis, blue polo, sneakers). I go to another bookstore for a Girl Scout fundraiser.)

Customer: “Excuse me, miss, but could you tell me where to find Breaking Moon from Twilight?”

Me: “I don’t work here, but those are two different books: New Moon and Breaking Dawn.”

Customer: “You must work here if you know that they are two different books.”

Me: “I don’t work here, but I do read books.”

Customer: “You are lying to me! You work here! Kids don’t read books!”

Me: “I assure you, I really do not work here, and many children do read books.”

(Customer #1 then drags me across the store to the cashier’s station.)

Customer: *to cashier* “She works here!”

Cashier: “No, she does not, sir, but I’d be happy to answer any questions you may have.”

Customer: “She must work here! She knows about books! Kids don’t read books!”

(The cashier hands the customer a summer reading list.)

Cashier: “Here is a list of books kids are required to read. You might want to start at the bottom, next to the words ‘Kindergarten Reading List.'”

Customer: *turns blood red and leaves without buying anything*


This story is part of our Children Reading roundup!

Read the next Children Reading roundup story!

Read the Children Reading roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!