Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The True Meaning Of Being American

, , | Right | November 21, 2018

(I work tech support in the US. I have a slight accent, but was raised in the US and have a degree from a US university.)

Me: “Good morning. [Company] technical support. How can I help you?”

Caller: “Are you in the US?”

Me: “Excuse me? We are a US company.”

Caller: “Yeah, but are you one of those Indian vendors? You are, aren’t you? I can tell you have an accent.”

(For the record, my accent is French.)

Me: “Ma’am, we are a US company, no subcontractors. I assure you I am working from the US.”

Caller: “Bulls***! This is why our country is going to Hell: because greedy little f***s like you are stealing all the American jobs. You aren’t even competent! You haven’t helped at all!”

Me: “Well, ma’am, perhaps if you would tell me what your problem is, I could help you.”

(The call degenerates from here, and she demands to speak to my manager… who is full-blood Navajo and also speaks with a slight accent.)

Manager: “Good morning. Can I help you?”

(I only heard screaming from the phone, obscenities, and yelling that he was not American. He hung up after getting documentation of her racist tirade.)


This story is part of our Native-American roundup.

Want to read the next story? Click here!

Want to read the roundup? Click here!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!