Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Terrible-Two Scam

, | Working | July 6, 2015

(I get a phone call from a private number. I answer it.)

Caller: “Hello, I am [Caller] from Windows Tech Support. I am calling about your Windows computer. Our system shows it has many viruses and I am going to help you work it out.”

Me: “Oh, no! Well, I don’t know much about computers, so I’ll put you on with my daughter. She knows way more about computers than me so she should be able to work with you.”

Caller: “Yes, that will be fine.”

(I put the phone on speaker and hand it to my daughter so I can listen in.)

Daughter: “Hello!”

Caller: “Hello, I am [Caller] from Windows Tech Support. I am calling about your Windows computer. Our system shows it has many viruses and I am going to help you work it out. Okay?”

Daughter: “Okay.”

Caller: “First I need you to click on the start button.”

Daughter: “Start button!”

Caller: “Yes, could you tell me what you see?”

Daughter: “You see?”

Caller: “Ma’am? No, I can’t see. You have to tell me.”

Daughter: “Tell me!”

Caller: “No, ma’am. You have to tell me. What is it you see on your screen?”

Daughter: “Okay, bye bye. I love you. I go on the swing now.”

(Then my very articulate two-year-old daughter hung up, handed me the phone, and went and played on her swing.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!