Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Sum Of All Your Tears

, , , , | Right | November 7, 2019

(I am the bad customer in the story. It has been a busy day and I have just gotten out of a doctor’s appointment, one in which I found out the tendon relocation surgery I had on my finger didn’t take. Because of this, my finger is far worse off than it was before hand, and possibly needs amputation. Despite the limited function in my hand, I have managed to become a decent makeup artist. Before I left for the doctors I was notified that I had a package at the local post office; it was an in-demand eyeshadow palette I have been waiting for.)

Me: “Hi, I’m here to pick up a package.”

(I hand over my slip, and despite the news I have gotten, I am trying my best to smile.) 

Clerk: *after a moment of typing* “I am so sorry, ma’am, but it looks like it was actually lost in transit.”

(I break down crying, not so much because of the palette but because of the stress of the day. The poor clerk looks utterly terrified, and I can’t seem to explain myself between sobs. It doesn’t take long for a manager to take over, telling the clerk to head to the back. The manager informs me that because the package was insured, they will do their best to get it replaced or found. I can hardly get out a thank-you before heading outside. I sit on a bench trying to gather myself when, out of the corner of my eye, I see the clerk I dealt with getting in her car and driving off. I head back inside and end up talking to the same manager.)

Me: “Hi. I was wondering if the clerk that helped me would be back; I would like to apologize for my outburst.”

Manager: *looking aggravated* “She was actually just let go.” 

(I felt terrible and tried to explain what had happened and that it wasn’t the clerks fault at all. The manager only seemed half-interested in my story and tried to offer me free shipping to mitigate the situation, which I declined. I felt awful the whole way home. I ended up calling customer service once I got home, and they, too, also offered me something to make the issue better; however, once I explained myself better, they seemed to be more understanding. I didn’t think anything would come of it, and the whole situation kind of went to the back of my mind. About a month later, I walked into the post office and saw the same clerk working behind the counter. I apologized profusely, and she just kept telling me over and over again that it was okay. She told me she couldn’t accept gifts, but I still slipped her a Visa gift card to make up for it all. To the post office clerk, I am so sorry that I put your job in jeopardy. I shouldn’t have let my emotions get the best of me.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!