Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Sticker Man

, , , , | Right | May 22, 2021

I am working in a library. Our weekly children’s program is wrapping up with the usual craft spread out on the tables throughout the kids’ section. I normally work on the adult side but have come over to cover for a coworker. Just before she leaves, she points out a father and two small girls sitting at a table, the kids decorating their crafts with stickers.

Coworker: “They’re the last family doing the craft. Once they’re done, would you collect the supplies and put them away?”

I agree and see her off. A few minutes later, I see the family gathering their things to leave. As I’m walking over to start cleanup, I see the man pick up the entire stack of sticker sheets and begin to leave the library with them.

Me: “Sir! Excuse me, sir, may I have those back?”

Man: “Oh, these are leftovers. No one else is going to use them, so I’m taking them home for my kids.”

Me: “Actually, those are our supplies. We have these programs every week. May I have those, please?”

Man: “But they’re used.”

He shows me that many of the sticker sheets have one or two stickers removed.

Me: “I still need them back.”

Man: *Grudgingly holding out a single sheet* “Do you want this one?”

Me: “Yes. And the other ones, too, please.”

Man: *Reluctantly holding out another sheet* “Are you sure you want this one, too?”

Me: “Yes.”

I had to collect the entire stack one at a time. I did let him keep a few mostly-used sheets, including one that his children had drawn pictures on the back of. When I told my coworker about it later, she said it was not the first time a parent had tried to do this.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!