Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Purple-Haired Plot Thickens!

, , , , , | Right | CREDIT: Why_Not_Two | January 25, 2023

I went to my nearby supermarket to grab a few things since I had a few days off work. While I was there, a lady came storming up to me. At first, I didn’t notice that she was staring me down as I saw her out of the corner of my eye, so I stepped forward to let her pass. Of course, she didn’t want to get past me; she wanted me.

She was clearly annoyed about something.

Lady: *Abruptly* “Why has this gone up to £10?”

She was holding up some sort of cleaning product.

Me: *Puzzled* “I’m not sure. I guess the store felt like raising the price?”

She huffed at me, not happy with my answer.

Lady: “Can you check the back of the store for the [specific scent] [Cleaning Product]?”

I was a bit oblivious to the fact that she thought I worked there.

Me: *Sheepishly* “Like, in the store room? I don’t think I can just walk in there.”

Her mouth dropped open.

Lady: “Why can’t you? I’m asking you to do something; I expect you to do it!”

I finally clocked on to the idea that she thought I was an employee, despite the fact that I was wearing a galaxy-print snapback hat over my purple hair, green jeans, and a hoodie.

Me: “Oh. I don’t work here.”

This made her even angrier.

Lady: “So, it’s your day off? Can’t you just do this for me quickly?”

Me: “It is indeed my day off, but it’s my day off from [Pub] down the road.”

Now she looked as puzzled as I did.

Me: “I don’t actually work for this supermarket.”

She turned around and stormed off, looking a bit embarrassed, and I didn’t think much of it.

As I went down a different aisle to grab my last few bits, I spotted an actual employee… who was more or less the spitting image of me (if a bit taller and skinnier) with almost the exact same shade of purple hair! At that moment, it all made sense.

I rarely go to this particular shop, so I didn’t know my apparent doppelganger worked there. I spoke with him, and he told me that this lady was a somewhat frequent customer before heading to help her. She must have been used to seeing a purple-haired guy working there and assumed I was him off-shift.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!