Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Perfectly Timed Storm

| Working | September 23, 2015

(We are based in Houston, TX, where natural disasters are all storm-related. On this day an unexpected storm is rolling in. A dozen people are gathered with me in a meeting room to plan our next software release. The meeting leader is officially calling the meeting to order.)

Meeting Leader: “Okay, I’m going to start the recording now.”

(As she presses the button to begin recording the meeting, a loud thunderclap reverberates through the room.)

Coworker #1: “Uh-oh…”

Me: “It’s a sign; this release is doomed. Let’s all ju—”

(The Fates heard my call; the power goes out before I can complete my sentence. Worse, it remained off for the rest of the day, but we pulled through with generator power and whichever laptop still had a charge. The next day, the power is back on, and our meeting continues. Air conditioning issues notwithstanding, it’s going well.)

Coworker #2: “We’ll just get [Coworker #3] to do it.”

Coworker #3: “Nuh-uh! My job is keeping the projector going.”

(Coworker #3 points to the projector screen, and at that precise moment, her laptop’s power-saving settings blank the screen and the projector goes black.)

Me: “YOU HAD ONE JOB!!!”

(Whatever the outcome, it seems clear this release will be “all about the timing…”)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!