Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Name Was Not A Piece Of Cake

| Working | September 18, 2014

(Like many other bakeries, ours takes custom orders by asking for a last name that the customer can pick up by. Also of note, I work only the very early morning shifts, so I see very little of our customer base and take very few orders myself.)

Customer: “Good morning. Pick up for a cake for [very Polish-sounding last name that starts with a K].”

Me: “Sure! Just a moment please.”

(I go to the cooler to check for the cake, but there is only one order, and it is for a [very obviously English last name starting with an H]. I return to the customer.)

Me: “I’m very sorry sir, but I can’t seem to find the cake. Could it possibly have been listed under any other name?”

(The customer’s eyes go wide while I speak.)

Customer: “No, it would only be under [Polish Name].”

(I decide to check the orders that have been finished and marked as received, and there’s a similar Polish name starting with an A. I take the order by the customer, in case someone in his family had picked it up earlier.)

Me: “Could it possibly be [Other Polish Name]?”

Customer: “No, no it has to be [Polish Name].”

(While I start to speak again, my coworker comes up to see what’s going on, and the customer seems to recognize her. She quickly walks away, but then comes back with the lone cake from the cooler and stops me in mid-sentence.)

Coworker: “Is the cake for a Harry and Larry?” *looking at the decorations written on the cake*

Customer: *joking with her* “Well, it’s supposed to be for a Larry and Harry, but I suppose that will do!” *he takes the cake with satisfaction and heads off*

Me: “…what?”

Coworker: “Oh, I took his order the other day, and I recognized him. What was the problem?”

Me: “He asked for an order with a very obviously a Polish name starting with a K that I can’t even pronounce or begin to spell. That is NOT the name written on the order form.”

Coworker: “Oh… was I anywhere close?”

Me: “…nowhere near.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!