Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Mute Button Will Reveal Your Sins

, , , | Right | CREDIT: supersizedlady | December 8, 2020

At the call center where I work, they want us to use the mute button instead of hold. I do not like doing that unless I am doing a fraud dispute; this way I can hear if they say something wrong.

I have a member call to get a credit back on her credit card.

Me: “Okay, please hold while I review your account to see what we can do.”

I decide to use the mute button since I know the hold will be very short. I have one button to push to give her the credit when, all of a sudden, I hear her speak to someone in the background.

Member: “I have another [N-word] on the phone.”

I pause for a moment and then take her off mute.

Me: “Ma’am, I heard that. You can call back.”

While she was trying to come up with an apology, I hung up on her. That was the first and only time I have ever hung up on a customer. I made sure to put a note on her account about what she said to make it harder for her to get a credit from the next person.

Moral of the story: if you don’t hear hold music, you are not on a true hold. Watch your mouth. Also, customers need to take into consideration that the person you are talking to may have your social security number, date of birth, address, and job information. And they might be a little crazy.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!