Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Music Is Not As Off-Putting As Your Stare

, , , | Right | November 15, 2019

(I work in a department store, roughly fifty feet from the cosmetics counters. I’m ringing up a family when the mother comes closer and says:)

Customer: “By the way, I wanted to let you know that the music they play over at the [Famous Cosmetics] counter is really off-putting. It makes me not want to shop around here.” *looks at me expectantly*

Me: “I’m sorry about that. We actually don’t have much say over their music choices, though, since they lease that space from us. You would have to bring that up with their employees.”

Customer: “Oh, no, I don’t want to do that. I just wanted to let you know that the music is a nuisance.” *another expectant look*

Me: “Well, if you talked to the employees about it, they might turn it down while you’re over there. They’re not our employees, and they’re using their own sound system, so you’d want to talk directly to them.”

Customer: “I’m just letting you know how irritating it is to have that playing while you’re trying to shop, and that it drives people away.” *still looks like she’s waiting for something*

Me: “Um… I could get you in touch with the store manager, if you like? He could bring it up to them.”

Customer: “No, that’s not necessary, I just wanted to tell you that it’s difficult for me to shop there while that music is playing.” *gives me another pointed look*

Me: “Okay, ma’am.”

(This must have satisfied her because she and her family finally left. I have no idea what she wanted to accomplish.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!