Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Motorcyclists Squeezed That Past You

, , , | Right | May 22, 2020

I work in a hotel. It is a very busy summer evening and there are two of us working the front desk during the rush, but the other girl has only been working here for a couple of months.

We have a small undercover area directly in front of the lobby where people normally park to check in. Due to its odd layout, it is also the only way to get to a portion of the parking lot. It’s a tight fit, but if the guest checking in has pulled completely to one side, then a second car can drive through.

Two guests riding motorcycles come into the lobby while I am checking in another guest.

Guest: “Is it all right if we park our motorcycles out front there?”

Coworker: “Um, I don’t think so. Normally, our motorcycle parking is along the side of the building here, but let me ask [My Name].”

Guest: “Oh, don’t ask her; it’s okay.”

They immediately leave the lobby. My coworker relays this to me after the rush dies down, and I immediately call the room.

Me: “Hi, this is [My Name] from the front desk. I was just wondering if it was your motorcycles that were parked directly in front of the building?”

Guest: “Uh… yeah.”

Me: “I was just hoping you could move them to a parking spot, or even just twenty feet up along the curb, so cars are able to get around you.”

Guest: “We didn’t think they’d be a problem there. I just want them to be undercover.”

Me: “We generally don’t allow parking there, because it’s difficult for cars to get around. I’m just worried that they may get hit.”

Guest: “We aren’t worried. We watched a truck get through there just fine!”

Me: “Um, okay. It’s just generally not something we—”

Guest: “Well, we think it’s fine.”

This goes on for a couple more minutes as the guest gets more and more irritated. I am more worried about complaints by other guests, but it is clear I am not going to win this fight without these guests overreacting enough at check-out to demand a discount, and possibly beyond — online or to corporate. I surrender. 

Me: “Okay… well… I guess you can leave them there. It’s just that cars are going to have to squeeze through there. I just don’t want your motorcycles to get hit.”

Guest: “Ugh! I’ll tell you what. I’ll come down and take a look at the situation, but my riding jeans are in the wash, so it will be a bit of time anyway.”

Me: “Okay, well, that’s fine, then.”

Guest: “Okay, we’ll leave them there. Thank you so much for your flexibility, Miss [My Name].”

Me: *Awkward laugh* “Okay.” *Click*

I never saw the guests again but had complaints from one couple checking in, and as I was leaving for the night, I watched as a small motorhome tried to squeeze through the area.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!