Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Mother Of All Rejections

| Romantic | January 14, 2015

(I had recently transferred to a hardware store location in my college town after I moved there. This woman in her late 40s walks up to me smiling. I remember her from earlier because she had gone through my line.)

Pushy Mom: “My son wants me to get your number.”

Me: “Oh! Uhm… we’re not really allowed to give out our personal phone numbers.” *looks around for help*

Pushy Mom: “Oh, come on. Just give me your number! He’s out in the parking lot in the car right now. He sent me because he just got off of work and is really dirty and didn’t want to make a bad impression!”

Me: “I’m not really comfortable with this. Maybe if he came up to me himself?”

Pushy Mom: “Just give me your NUMBER!”

Me: “I just moved here and I don’t know my number yet. I wrote down the number of the landline where I’m staying in my pocket… hold on.”

(I really didn’t want to give her my cell number. But, I did have the rejection hotline number with the area code in my pocket just in case. I copy down the rejection hotline number on a slip of receipt paper, and then she stomped away in a huff after badgering me for my phone number for her son… who was in the parking lot the whole time watching all of that unfold. I really hope he learned his lesson and stopped sending his mom to ask out ladies for him!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!