Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Less They Know, The Better

, , , | Right | April 15, 2008

(The customer decides to buy two children’s face towels, one for each child. They are $3.50 each, but you can get three for $7.00.)

Me: “Just so you know, you can get three towels for $7.”

Customer: “No, thanks.”

Me: “You are paying $7 anyway since they’re $3.50 each…”

Customer: “…”

Me: “Essentially, if you buy two, you get a third one free!”

Customer: “Free?”

Me: “Yeah, one for yourself!”

Customer: “I don’t want one!”

Me: “Well, it’s an extra one for the kids, or you can give it away, or give it to me.” *Laughs lightly*

Customer: “If I get three, I’ll have to get a fourth, or the kids will fight.”

Me: “Ah, you can get a fourth one for only $2.33, because you get the discount if you buy three or more.”

Customer: “But you said the third one is free!”

Me: “It’s essentially free. When you get three or more, you’re actually paying $2.33 for each one, instead of $3.50. It works out the same.”

Customer: “So I’m paying for it, even though it’s free?”

Me: “The deal is actually three for $7, seven divided by three is $2.33; you end up paying only $2.33 for each one instead of $3.50.”

Customer: “Whoa, so the first two are $3.50, the third one is free, and the fourth one is $2.33?”

Me: “You could look at it that way, I guess…”

Customer: “You guys have confusing prices. I’m getting a headache!”

(The customer asks the kids if they want another one. They get excited and pick out two more. I scan them. Each one shows up at $3.50 each, but the computer discounts them automatically at the end).

Customer: “Hey, they all scanned at $3.50!”

Me: “Don’t worry; the discount is applied at the end.”

Customer: “You’re trying to rip me off!”

Me: “I’m not. See, your subto–”

Customer: “I’m never coming here again!”

(The customer grabbed the children, who started crying because they really wanted the face towels.)


This story is part of our Pi Day Math roundup!

Read the next Pi Day Math roundup story!

Read the Pi Day Math roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!