Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Leaning Tower Of Dubai Sounds More Worrying

, , , , , , | Working | July 31, 2017

(I am originally from Italy and moved to Dubai around four years ago. I have an Italian credit card that I only use when travelling or if there is some kind of emergency. My local debit card got stolen, and until I have a new one, I need to get some cash from my credit card. The ATM tells me that the card has been blocked and I need to contact my bank. So I do. After going through all the verification, the call center agent asks me how he can help me and I explain the story.)

Me: “So, I would just need you to unblock my credit card, because there is no ‘suspicious activity.’ It was just me.”

Agent: “Unfortunately, once the card is blocked, I cannot unblock it. You will need to go to your bank and request a new one.”

Me: “But I can’t. I don’t live in Italy anymore.” *quickly thinking about the possibilities I have* “But it’s okay; I will send my mum to the bank.”

Agent: “All right, and just so it doesn’t happen anymore, is it all right if I update your address?”

Me: “That would be great. I live at [address], in Dubai.”

Agent: “I am sorry, where?”

Me: “In Dubai. UAE.”

Agent: “Could you spell that for me?”

Me: *dumbfounded* “Umm, that’s D-U-B-A-I.”

Agent: “What region is that in?”

Me: “It’s a city in the UAE.”

Agent: “Yes, but what region? Tuscany, Emilia-Romagna…?”

Me: “Never mind. I will ask my mother to do it at the bank. Thank you very much.”

(It was eventually changed, but I could just not wrap my head around how after the entire conversation I had and all the information he got on his screen, he still thought I was in Italy. And he had never heard of Dubai or the UAE.)


This story is part of our Bad Bankers roundup!

Read the next Bad Bankers roundup story!

Read the Bad Bankers roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!