Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Last Act Is To Call For A Manager

, , , , , , , | Right | June 7, 2023

We give out coupons to members of our membership program on their birthdays. A customer comes to check out, buying a small purse with one such coupon for 10% off.

I take a look at the purse, and I know that the coupon will not work. The purse is what our store calls “Last Act”, which are clearance items that are thirty days or fewer away from being liquidated or donated to thrift stores. Coupons don’t work on “Last Act” items.

Me: “I’m sorry, but that coupon won’t work with that purse.”

Customer: “Why not?”

Me: “The purse is ‘Last Act,’ and ‘Last Act’ items are excluded from all coupons.”

Customer: “But the coupon clearly says it works on all regular price and clearance items.”

Me: “Yes, it would work on clearance items. That purse isn’t clearance. It’s ‘Last Act’.”

Customer: “But the coupon is supposed to work on all clearance items.”

Me: “Yes, but that’s not clearance; it’s ‘Last Act’. They’re not considered simple clearance items as they’re about to be liquidated.”

Customer: “Can you just… beep the coupon with the register and see if it works?”

I beep the coupon. It does not work.

Customer: “I don’t understand.”

Me: “It’s not clearance. It’s ‘Last Act’.”

Customer: “What’s the difference?”

Me: “Clearance items can be returned. ‘Last Act’ items are non-refundable.”

Customer: “It just feels like you’re making an arbitrary distinction in order to deny me the usage of my coupon. It doesn’t say anything about excluding ‘Last Act’ on the coupon.”

The customer makes air quotes with her fingers when she says, “Last Act”.

Me: “It’s store policy.”

Customer: “Can I have a manager, please?”

I got a manager. The customer went through the same song and dance with the manager. They went in circles a couple of times, with the customer arguing that it didn’t say anything about excluding “Last Act” anywhere on the coupon. Eventually, the manager gave the client a 10% discount to get her to shut up and go away.

She accepted the discount, handed the manager the coupon to his clear and obvious confusion as he didn’t ask for it, and headed out.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!