Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Key(s) To Customer Service

| Right | July 10, 2014

(I usually work the electronics department, but I’ve stepped into the main toy section to show a customer where an item is located. Another customer gets my attention.)

Customer: “Can you tell me where [line of dolls] are?”

Me: “I’m not familiar with those dolls, but if we do carry them, they’ll be in [aisle numbers].”

Customer: “Well, the other girl said that you don’t have them!”

Me: “We probably don’t, then. It’s been a very busy morning and we’re sold out of a lot of popular items.”

Customer: “Can’t you look it up on that doodad of yours?”

(The customer gestures at the set of keys in my hand, which have a large black magnetic key attached to them.)

Me: “Ma’am, I’m afraid I don’t have my handheld scanner, but if you give me a moment I can go to the electronics department—”

Customer: “No, that doodad in your hand!”

Me: *as gently as possible* “Ma’am, these are my keys, not my handheld.”

Customer: “I have had it with this store! This is the worst customer service! I will inform your manager that you refused to serve me!”

(Later, my manager drops by.)

Manager: “Did you try to help a very grumpy old woman?”

Me: “Yeah, and she was mad that I couldn’t use my keys to look up an item.”

Manager: “I’m not surprised. She complained about you, and then wanted me to help her find a doll in an ad. I pointed out that it was an ad for a competitor and that the doll was marked as that [Competitor]’s exclusive item. She told me she’d just come from there and they didn’t have any more, so what was I going to do about it? I told her nothing, since we’re not [Competitor]. Last I saw she was leaving her cart and walking out of the store complaining about how employees these days have no sense of what customer service really means.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!