Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Joy Of Sex(ism), Part 3

, , , , , | Right | June 1, 2008

(I’m a transgender woman working in a call center. My name is an androgynous name, so for legal reasons, I still use the male name when greeting customers.)

Me: “Thank you for calling tech support. [My Name] speaking. How can I help you today?”

Sexist Caller: “You can’t help me. Get me someone who can.”

Me: “I’m sure I can assist you, sir; what is the problem today?”

Sexist Caller: “I ain’t talking to you!”

Me: “What’s the problem?”

Sexist Caller: “I ain’t talking to no girl.”

(This causes me to both be glad that my voice passes for female on the phone, but really pisses me off because of how horrible the caller is… but I will have my revenge.)

Me: “I’m terribly sorry to hear that, sir. Are you sure?”

Sexist Caller: “Get me a man, d*** it!”

Me: “Okay, sir, let me see what I can do. Please hold.”

(I put him on hold. I then spend the next few minutes eating a snack, reading some webcomics, etc. I then clear my throat, and hit the button to take him off hold.)

Me: *with my old male voice this time* “Thank you for calling technical support. This is [My Name] speaking. How can I help you?”

Sexist Caller: “Oh, thank god. I thought I was gonna be stuck with that b****.”

Me: “Understandable, sir; she’s not that good a technician.”

Sexist Caller: “You guys got the same name. You related or something?”

Me: “No way, thank God… ”

(I proceeded to reinstall his operating system from where he had totally screwed it up. I got written up for this, all while the manager was laughing and apologizing that he had to do it.)


This story is part of the Transgender-themed roundup!

Read the next Transgender-themed roundup story!

Read the Transgender-themed roundup!


Did you find this story using our Harvey Milk Day roundup?

Click here to get back to it!

Click here to see the next story!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!