Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Gift Card That Keeps On Giving, Part 25

, , , , | Right | August 15, 2022

I work at an American craft store chain. A customer comes up to my register with two store gift cards.

Customer: “Will these work online?”

Me: “Yes, they’ll definitely work on our website.”

The customer puts $200 on each gift card, telling me they’re for her two children. She pays with four $100 bills, and I remember wishing she were my mother.

Hours later, when I’m at my other job, I get a text from the manager closing the craft store:

Manager: “Do you remember selling two gift cards to a woman that were $200 each this morning? They were [Store] gift cards.”

Me: “Yeah, was something wrong with the bills? I checked them all for the reflective and embedded strips. They looked good.”

Manager: “No, she was claiming that you said she could use them on Amazon; she just tried to return them.”

Me: “She never asked about Amazon; she only asked if they could be used online. I even said they could be used on our website. If she’d specified Amazon, I’d have told her no.”

My manager did not return the gift cards for obvious reasons. She also told me the woman was “not happy, to say the least”. Funnily enough, we also sell Visa gift cards, which CAN be used on Amazon. I no longer wish she were my mother.

Related:
The Gift Card That Keeps On Giving, Part 23
The Gift Card That Keeps On Giving, Part 22
The Gift Card That Keeps On Giving, Part 21
The Gift Card That Keeps On Giving, Part 20

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!