Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Gift Card That Keeps On Giving, Part 15

, , , , , | Right | July 27, 2020

At our store, when purchasing a gift card, you are given a separate, smaller receipt to show that the gift card has been activated. This smaller receipt also has all the information about that individual gift card on it, just in case it doesn’t work for whatever reason and you need to contact the company about it.

A customer has just purchased a gift card and I have handed him his regular receipt and his additional gift card receipt.

Customer: “What’s this other receipt for?”

Me: “That’s just to show that the gift card’s been activated.”

Customer: “I don’t understand.”

Me: “It has all the information about that individual gift card just in case, for whatever reason, the gift card doesn’t work.”

Customer: “What? Doesn’t work? I don’t want it if it doesn’t work.”

Me: “I’m sorry?”

Customer: “You just said that this gift card doesn’t work. I don’t want it.”

Me: “It should work, sir. I just meant hang onto that receipt on the very unlikely chance that it doesn’t.”

Customer: “This is supposed to be a gift for someone. I don’t want to give them a gift card that doesn’t work. Why would you even sell this? I want a refund.”

Me: “Sorry, sir, we can’t do refunds for gift cards once they’re activated. But I promise the gift card will work.”

The customer stares me down with intense fury as he backs out of the store.

Customer: “It had better work.”

Related:
The Gift Card That Keeps On Giving, Part 14
The Gift Card That Keeps On Giving, Part 13
The Gift Card That Keeps On Giving, Part 12
The Gift Card That Keeps On Giving, Part 11
The Gift Card That Keeps On Giving, Part 10

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!