Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Listening Will Fly You Far In Life

| Learning | November 29, 2016

(Having completed an engineering apprenticeship, my company has asked me to go to a local school to help show the students what is involved. It is a fun day out so I agree. We start by getting the students to work in teams to build something to a drawing. I am in a classroom explaining what to do. All but two are listening.)

Me: “Sorry, guys, but if you don’t listen you won’t know what to do.”

Boys: “What?”

Me: “I’m explaining what you need to do; if you don’t listen you won’t know.”

(Without even an answer, they start talking again. The class are given one hour to build. About half way through, my boss shows up and calls me aside.)

Boss: “How’s it going?”

Me: “Good, although a couple aren’t even listening.”

Boss: “Have they done anything?”

Me: *I peer around the door* “They are doing something, but I have no idea what.”

Boss: “I see them. Don’t worry about it.”

(The class finish their time and go to the hall to race the planes they’ve built. The two boys go to the start line with a box.)

Teacher: “What happened here?”

Boys: “We didn’t know what to do.”

Teacher: “Was it too hard for you?”

Boss: “Sorry to interrupt, but these two lads were too busy gluing things to their own hands to actually listen.”

Teacher: “Oh! Well, go on, you two. Race your plane.”

(I will never forget the two lads who had to throw this brick of paper and straws in an effort to fly the farthest. Next time, listen!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!