Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Father Aced Misogyny 101

| Learning | December 12, 2016

(I work in a call center for the admissions office at my university, and we mostly make outgoing calls to prospective and admitted students to tell them about the school. My office is staffed by all female students, and my boss is also female.)

Me: “Good evening. My name is [My Name], and I’m a student calling from [University]. Is [Prospective Student] available?”

Father Of Student: “Umm… What is this regarding?”

(This is a common reaction to our cold calls, so I’m not surprised.)

Me: “I’m just calling because I see that [Prospective Student] showed interest in [University], and I wanted to see if he had any questions.”

Father Of Student: “Oh, I see. Well, he might, but would it be possible to speak to a man about this?”

Me: “Excuse me?”

Father Of Student: “Yes, in my opinion, men are generally more intelligent and would be more able to help.”

(At this point I am dumbfounded and my coworkers have all popped their heads above their cubicles to listen.)

Me: “Sir, there are no men who work at this office. I am more than happy, and more than capable, of answering any questions you or your son may have.”

Father Of Student: “There are no men?”

Me: “Correct. We have an all-female staff.”

Father Of Student: “Well… Your boss must be a man, then.”

Me: “My boss is female as well.”

Father Of Student: “That’s crazy! How do you get anything done?!”

(I take a long pause, not willing to dignify his rude question with a response.)

Me: “Is there anything else I can help you with tonight, sir?”

Father Of Student: “No, that will be all.” *slams phone down*

Me: *in response to my coworkers’ questioning looks* “I don’t think his son will be attending.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!