Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Ever-Changing Cost Of Real Estate

, , | Right | October 11, 2018

(I work at a call center for a property rental company. Folks often email inquiries, then call in with follow-up questions. An older woman calls.)

Me: “Thanks for calling. How can I help you?”

Caller: “I was looking at one of your rental units online, and had some questions.”

Me: “I’d be happy to help with that! Can you help me locate which unit you were looking at?”

Caller: “It’s in [City], Florida… Pet friendly? It has two bedrooms?”

(I have literally dozens of options matching that description.)

Me: “Hm… I’m having a little trouble finding the exact unit you’re talking about—”

Caller: “I got an email from you saying it was available.”

Me: “Oh! I can look that up. What’s your email address?” *she provides it* “Thank you! Here’s the email. So, it looks like the unit is available; the cost is $1400.”

Caller: “Well, I clicked the button that said, ‘pet friendly,’ and that one popped up. And, what’s that number again? I had $1100 in my email.”

Me: “I’m sorry; I’m reading this right off the email. I’m not sure where you saw another number, but what I see is $1400.”

Caller: “I’m referencing the email titled, ‘INQUIRY FOR THE FLORIDA GETAWAY…’” *starts reading verbatim from the email, as though she’s going to prove something to me* “’…the total cost, including all taxes and fees, is $1400…’ Wait. It didn’t say that before. Why would it have changed?”

Me: “I’m sorry, that’s the email and cost I’m seeing, as well. And, reading more closely, it looks like this unit isn’t actually pet friendly, either.”

Caller: “But I clicked, ‘pet friendly.’”

Me: “I’m sorry, but this unit isn’t pet friendly.”

Caller: “Well, okay, then, I guess we’ll keep looking.”

(She ended her call. I heard her say to her husband before the line disconnected, “I just don’t know why that price changed somehow!”)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!