Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Epicenter Of Understanding

, | Hopeless | October 21, 2016

(I am awakened this morning just after 7 am by a 5.6 earthquake with an epicenter about 50 miles away. We’ve had quakes before but this was the strongest and longest. I go downstairs, annoyed to be starting a holiday weekend in such a way and check on the computer to get details. My phone rings; it’s not even 8 am yet. I do not recognize the number but answer anyway.)

Me: “Hello?”

Caller: “Hey there!”

Me: “Hi.”

Caller: “Watcha doing?”

Me: “Talking on the phone.”

Caller: “Ha ha, you sure are.”

Me: “…”

Caller: “Is this Vicky?”

Me: “Nope.”

Caller: “Oh, no! I’m so sorry! I dialed the wrong dang number!”

(I’m not a cheerful or friendly person, especially in the morning, especially when I’d hoped to sleep in but something about this guy made me turn off the sour.)

Me: “Don’t worry about it. The earthquake woke me up anyway.”

Caller: “Oh, man! Me, too! I’m up here in Missouri and it shook the bed. I’m on the third floor and the place was just rocking!”

Me: “I’m in Tulsa. This was a big one. And it just kept going.”

Caller: “That’s it, right there. It did not seem to stop. I’m thinking this could be big.”

Me: “Yup, the shaking woke me up but when it didn’t stop I began to think it might be bad.”

Caller: “But nothing too bad, right? You’re okay?”

Me: “Oh, sure. Just the walls and windows rattling. Nothing dangerous.”

Caller: “Good, good. I thought I’d call my cousin and see how she was doing. Just dialed wrong, I guess.”

Me: “Well, if your cousin lives near here, I’m sure she’s fine but she’ll be happy to hear from you.”

Caller: “Yeah. Sorry, again. You take care.”

Me: “Tell Vicky I said hi.”

(I hung up. Weird way to start a day for sure, but I kind of liked it.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!