Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Downers Of Up-Selling

| Right | October 18, 2012

(At the ferry terminal where I work, we have a discount card. When loaded with money, it will give you a substantial discount when customers use it to pay for a ticket.  I don’t usually mention it because all the local commuters know about it, but when they are paying for 4 or more people at a time, it is actually cheaper to buy the card than to pay the usual price.)

Me: “Hello! How many of you are traveling today?”

Customer: “Five of us and the car.”

Me: Great! Hey, would you like to save some money today? We have this card and—”

Customer: “No! No card! Don’t sell me anything!”

Me: “I understand, sir. But if you load $95 on this card, it’s actually cheaper than the $120 dollars I will be charging you normally. You see it’s a discount card and-”

Customer: “No! I said no! Don’t you people listen? Always trying to sell me crap. Just give me a ticket!”

Me: “Okay then. That will be $120 instead of the $95 for a ticket. No problem.”

Customer’s Wife: “What?!” *smacks husband’s arm and glares* “Will you listen to her?”

Customer: *sheepishly* “Oh… uh… wait. Maybe we will take that card thing.”

Me: “Right away, sir…”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!