Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Customers Flipped, Not The Houses

, , , , , | Right | June 12, 2022

I get an appointment set for me to show a new property to a prospective buyer. I get to the house a little early, just to check that everything is in order and familiarise myself with the layout.

I don’t get long as I can see the couple walk up to the house. I don’t recognise the man, but the woman is certainly very familiar. I can’t put my finger on it, until she starts complaining… about everything.

Then, I remember: I showed both of them a number of properties a while back, and she complained about each and every one of them. It was about stupid things, like the owner’s pictures not “suiting the room.”

I put on a smile and show them around. The woman starts complaining immediately. Great.

As I’m doing my best to sell the property, I realise that, actually, it really is a great house with lots of potential. It needs some work, but any money spent on it would dramatically increase the value. You could flip this for a lot of money and in a market with a massive target customer base.

I point all this out to them. The woman sneers and tells me it’s “not worth it” or “too much work.”

They go away to think about it, but they tell me, “This isn’t the one for them,” and, “It’s way overpriced.”

I think about it the next week and check with my boss if I can put in an offer myself. 

There are some hurdles to jump through, but yes, I can! But I wouldn’t be able show the house anymore. If that meant I didn’t have to deal with that couple again, fine by me!

My offer goes in at the asking price and my coworker takes over the house.

Later, my coworker tells me the couple did put an offer in, way below asking. They were told that another offer at asking price was received. They would go away and come back with a little extra, only to be told that, no, an asking price offer had been received. 

Eventually, they put in an offer £1,000 above asking. My coworker diligently calls the owners to let them know.

I’m a little worried about getting into a bidding war, but to my surprise, they say no. They have a buyer and don’t want to accept and lose me.

My coworker lets the couple know and they lose it. They start going off how it’s overpriced and how the owners should just accept their offer and it should be accepted automatically as it’s the highest. They are reminded that it isn’t their house yet, and the current owners get to decide who buys their house.

Thankfully, they don’t come back. I buy the house.

I have been living here for nine months now. I plan to do the improvements over the next few years and hopefully sell without attracting any more potential buyers like the couple!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!