Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Customer Is Worth The Wait

, , | Right | August 29, 2016

(I go into my job at a barbecue restaurant for the night shift and as soon as I walk in we are slammed with orders and getting caterings out. The air-conditioning gets sucked up by the vents in the kitchen so it is roughly 90 degrees while working with very hot food. I have two customers waiting about 20 minutes and normally that’s when people think the wait is ridiculous and leave.)

Me: “I’m so sorry, ma’am; I’ll be right with you! Let me just finish this up.”

Customer #1: “Oh, no, don’t worry about it. I’d rather wait here than somewhere else.”

(I got her taken care of after another moment before turning to Customer #2.)

Me: “Sorry about that, sir; let me take your order now.”

Customer #2: “I’m fine; take care of those orders first. I’m in no rush.”

(He had seen my large pick up order customer walk in and knew I was finishing it up while taking and making other orders. So I manage to get the other two orders complete before going back to take the gentleman’s order, who has now been waiting over 30 minutes without complaining.)

Me: “I’m so sorry about the wait. Let me get you taken care of now.”

(It is really hot so I have been sweating a little while completing the other orders.)

Customer #2: “Are you sure? Do you need to take a breather first?”

Me: “No, I’m fine, really. But, here. I know it’s hot so please take a drink.”

Customer #2: “Oh, wow, thanks! Do you need a drink, though? I can get you one.”

Me: “No, I’ll grab one in a minute. Thank you, though!”

(Customer #2 earned himself a 10% discount on his order for both the wait and how nice he had been the entire time. We had a few more insane times that night with all surprisingly nice customers but he really stuck out to me with his patience and kindness.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!